Are you a small business owner looking for a credit card machine? But you want to cut out all the marketing, and just want the facts and figures. You’ve come to the right place!
Here is the top guide which provides all the information you need and more. It includes a mini review of the top 10+ providers, their credit card machines and all costs.
Top Two Credit Card Machine Providers
These credit card machine providers offer a range of credit card machines and mobile card readers which accept all major debit and credit cards.
They help merchants with very tight budgets own or rent the best credit card machines around.
Ingenico is a global leader in face-to-face credit card payment services. They have managed 5.1 billion transactions in their 35 year history. Therefore they can help you accept payments through their credit card machine and portable card readers. They can offer:
- A variety of desktop, portable and mobile card machines.
- Added value through their local regulation system updates.
- Supports (Near Field Communication) NFC payment and Apple Pay.
- 24/7 customer support available.
Further information: Ingenico Website
SumUp provides an affordable mobile card reader to sole traders, entrepreneurs and small businesses. This pocket-sized card reader can accept all debit and credit cards. Besides this, they also offer a clear pricing structure which makes them a good choice for those new to card payments.
- One year hardware warranty & no monthly rental costs.
- Flat fee of just 1.69% per transaction.
- £29 + VAT cost per card machine.
- 30 day money back guarantee
- Customer support available.
Further information: SumUp Website
Credit Card Machine Providers
These card machine providers offer a range of card machines and mobile credit card readers to businesses. Many of these come at a very affordable price.
- Paypal Here Credit Card Reader
PayPal provides it’s mobile credit card reader which allows face-to-face payments to be accepted from virtually anywhere. It accepts all major credit and debit cards. Furthermore, it accepts Apple Pay and Android Pay. PayPal do not charge a monthly rental for its card reader.
- Low fees starting from 1% per transaction.
- Instant transfer to existing Paypal business account.
- Low device cost of £45 + VAT & no set-up costs.
Company Website: PayPal Website
iZettle offers a mobile credit card reader which is popular with smaller businesses. This low-cost card reader can support Chip & Pin and contactless payments. Importantly payments can also be made through Samsung Pay, Apple Pay and Android Pay. They are offering:
- Flat fee of 1.75% per transaction.
- Low cost of £19 + VAT per card reader.
- No contracts or merchant account required.
- One year hardware warranty guarantee.
Further information: iZettle Website
- SmartTrade App
This card processing app turns your smartphone into a portable card reader. When it is downloaded to either an iOS or Android device, you can accept face-to-face payments for all major credit and debit cards. They provide:
- Highly secure military-grade encryption technology.
- Fees from 1.75% + 20p per transaction.
- All major credit/debit cards accepted.
- Dedicated customer support available 24/7.
- Ability to pass on all card related fees to the customer.
Further information: SmartTrade App Website
- Transax Merchant Services
Originally founded in 1986, Transax provide their range of credit card machines in over 80,000 locations across Europe. As a subsidiary of FIS Payments they offer:
- A variety of credit card machines and mobile card readers.
- Customer support available.
- Gradual reduction in weekly fee.
Further information: Transax Website
- PB Payment Solutions
This payment services company provide a full range of credit card machines and portable card readers. Pitney Bowes also offer a virtual terminal service. This allows businesses accept card payments without having a card machine.
- Fast, secure and reliable service.
- Tailor-made ‘best price’ guarantee.
- Personalised customer service available.
Further information: PB Payment Solutions Website
Worldpay was founded in 1989 and offer a range of basic credit card machines. Their card machines and mobile credit card readers support all major payment cards including Visa, Mastercard and American Express.
- A full range of credit card machines and portable card readers.
- Extended battery life on all machines.
- 24/7 UK Customer Support – 365 days a year.
- Low fees start at 1.75% per transaction.
Further information: WorldPay Website
- Spire Payments
Spire is a merchant services provider offering a selection of credit card machines to small, medium and large businesses. They provide:
- Tailor-made fee and cost structure.
- A range of card machines, portable card readers and mobile credit card machines.
- Robust design and highly secure system.
Further information: Spire Payments Website
- PAX Technology Limited
PAX Technology offers a range of credit card machines and portable card readers which can support payments through its highly secure network.
- High level of payment security and protection.
- Large ultra-clear multimedia colour screen.
- Machines optimized for NFC payment.
- Dedicated QR code reader to accept smart payments.
Further information: PAX Technology Website
This multinational payment services provider can offer its ‘Flex’ mobile credit card reader to any business. This card reader comes with a flexible connection capability which allows you to take payments anywhere. It is ideal for salesmen, taxi drivers and home delivery companies.
- Fees based on transaction volume.
- Monthly rentals from £15 + VAT.
- Fully mobile credit card machines and portable card readers.
Further information: Barclaycard Website
Founded in 1981, Verifone provides PDQ (Process Data Quickly) card machines to businesses. They can provide mobile credit card machines, portable card readers and countertop card machines.
- Integrated with card payment systems including talech POS, GiftFly and Zapper.
- Impressive range of PDQ card machines, portable card readers and countertop card machines.
- Offer a limited trial period free of charge.
Further information: Verifone UK Website
- Shopify POS & Card Reader
This Canadian e-commerce company offers its payment services to a variety of businesses. It provides a great mobile credit card reader to store owners who want to accept face-to-face payments. They provide:
- Individual reader cost of £59.99 + VAT.
- 24/7 customer service provided.
- Fees start from 1.5% per transaction.
- Accept all major debit and credit cards on the market.
Further information: Shopify Website
Founded in 2009, this merchant services company provides a mobile card reader for accepting Chip & Pin and contactless payments. It can also manage Apple Pay, Android Pay and even Samsung Pay.
- Interactive dashboard for displaying transactions.
- Fees starting at 1.75% per transaction.
- Free invoicing software provided.
- 30 day money back guarantee & 1 year warranty as standard.
- Credit card reader for Android.
Further information: Square Website
Best PDQ Machines
A ‘Process Data Quickly’ (PDQ) machine is perfect for a larger business with a higher volume of daily payments. Check out our favourites below!
- Ingenico Desk/3000 series Machine
If you are looking for a PDQ card machine, consider the ‘Ingencio Desk/3000’ series. This next generation countertop payment terminal accepts Smartcard, Magstripe and contactless payments. It can even make NFC payments through a dedicated card-reader zone with faster transaction speed. This eco-friendly credit card machine comes with a colour-display as standard.
For retail merchants this secure and reliable countertop PDQ is a fantastic option. Full description available here: Ingenico Desk/3000 series
- Ingenico iWL/200 series Machine
The ‘Ingenico iWL’ series can provide you with a portable and durable card machine to accept credit or debit card payments anywhere. This small card machine offers outstanding battery life, multiple connectivity options and a high level of security. Due to its portable nature, this particular credit card machine has been especially designed for smaller businesses, hospitality and mobile-friendly enterprises!
Full description available here: Ingenico iWL/200 series
- Ingenico Link/2500 Companion Machine
This compact mobile credit card machine has a user-friendly system featuring an edge-design, bright 2.4” colour display and is highly flexible. The ‘Link/2500’ accepts most payment types including contactless payment, Apple Pay and Samsung Pay.
For anyone in field sales, a courier or an events company – this machine is for you. Full description here: Ingenico Link/2500 Companion
Data: Fun Facts
As the use of credit cards to make a payment increases across the country, we have prepared some ‘fun facts’ highlighting usage and cost for business.
- Countertop – Portable – Fully Mobile PDQ – Mobile Card Reader – Virtual Terminal
|Countertop||£10-15 per month||£200-800|
|Portable||£10-80 per month||£200-1,000|
|Fully mobile PDQ||£50-180 per month||£300-1,000|
|Mobile Card Reader||n/a||£20-80|
|Virtual Terminal||£9-15 per month||n/a|
- Card Payment – Remote Banking – Standing Order – Cash – Cheque
|Card Payment||24,774||33,146||+ 8,372|
|Remote Banking||1,978||3,169||+ 1,191|
|Standing Order||558||601||+ 43|
*(Payment in millions & excluding CHAPS)
- Proportion of adults (%)
|Age Range||Contactless Card Ownership|
- Proportion of people registered for mobile payments in each age group (%)
|Age Range||Contactless Card Ownership|
(Please note: All figures provided are accurate at the time of publication)